Are you a nature lover missing a green thumb or fed up with the hassle of watering, pruning, or dealing with pests? Have you heard of artificial plants? They're a total game-changer for time-poor nature lovers!
Artificial plants are fake plants that look and feel exactly like the real deal. When purchased from high-quality manufacturers, these artificial plants can add colour, texture, and freshness to any space without any drawbacks of real plants.
Before you rush to buy any artificial plants, just stop right there! You see, not all artificial plants and green walls are equally good. Artificial plants can be totally hit or miss, but depending on the materials and detailing, some are way more real-looking and long-lasting.
Continue reading to have all your questions answered—including how to choose the finest fake plants and maintain their vibrancy for years.
How to Pick the Best Fake Plants
Artificial plants and green walls can bring spaces to life almost instantly. Fake green walls are ideal for spaces where natural plants are not feasible or practical, such as indoors or in harsh climates.
Depending on your space availability and decoration theme, you have infinite options and combinations to choose from. Whether you wish to create an oasis, spruce up your spaces, create picturesque centre-pieces or give your home or office a boho vibe, fake plants can do it all.
When shopping for fake plants, you should pay attention to several factors to ensure you pass them off as well-maintained, natural plants, such as:
- Material: The material of the artificial plant significantly affects its appearance, texture and durability. Common materials include silk, plastic, polyester, foam and latex. Silk looks soft but fades and frays over time. Some manufacturers use low-quality plastic that’s cheap and will develop cracks over time. Polyester is more realistic but attracts dust. Foam is lightweight but fragile. Latex is realistic but pricey and sensitive to heat.
- Colour: The colour of the fake plant should match the natural colour of the real plant. Avoid fake plants that are too bright or dull, as they can look unnatural and tacky. Look for subtle variations in colour and shading that mimic the natural plant’s growth patterns and seasons. For example, some fake plants have darker or lighter tips, veins, or edges to create a more realistic effect.
- Shape: Look for fake plants with natural curves, bends, and angles reflecting how the real plant would grow and respond to gravity and light. Some fake plants have wires inside their stems or leaves that allow you to adjust their shape according to your preference.
- Size: Make sure the fake plant is not too big or too small for your space, as it can look out of proportion and awkward. Also, consider the scale of the fake plant in relation to other elements in your space, such as furniture, windows, or walls.
- Style: The style of the fake plant should match your taste and the overall theme of your space. Fake plants come in various styles, from modern to rustic to tropical. Choose a fake plant that complements your existing decor and enhances the mood and atmosphere of your space.
How to Care for Fake Plants and Green Walls
Although fake plants and green walls require minimal maintenance, they still need some care to stay fresh and gorgeous. Here are some tips and tricks to keep them looking pristine!
- Dust: Dust can accumulate on fake plants and green walls over time, making them look dull and dirty. To prevent this, you should dust them regularly using a soft cloth, a feather duster, or a hairdryer on a low setting.
- Stains: Spills, splashes, or exposure to liquids or chemicals can stain your beautiful artificial plants. Use a damp cloth with water, a mild detergent solution, or a stain remover product designed for fake plants to blot them gently. Make sure to test it on a small area first to avoid any adverse reactions.
- Fading: Fake plants and green walls fade upon exposure to sunlight, heat, or humidity. This is more commonly seen among artificial plants that aren’t made from UV-resistant materials. On the off chance that you have already purchased this type of artificial plant, try using a UV protection spray to keep your plants from fading and cracking.
To prevent this, you should avoid placing them near windows, heaters, or humidifiers.
Fake plants and green walls are a great way to add some greenery and life to your space without any of the drawbacks of real plants. They can also create amazing visual effects with vertical gardens, green walls, or faux planters. However, not all fake plants and green walls are equally good.
Choosing and taking care of fake plants that actually look real can be quite tricky. But don't worry. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you find some beautiful faux greenery that'll make your place look amazing for years to come.